Having no time to spend on myself during the week I find it frustrating that I have to catch up with everything on the weekend. That's why I choose to believe weekend starts on Fridays. So, here is a recipe to make the silly thoughts and ghosts go away. A MUST try, on weekend for sure!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting for Chilly Fridays
(makes about 12 cupcakes)
For the sponge:
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (I used a store-bought but you can use fresh)
1+1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/3 tsp ground allspice
1/3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For the frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 to 2 tbsp milk
2 cups powdered sugar
- for the cakes
1. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, eggs and pumpkin puree until combined.
2. Add the dry ingredients: flour, spices, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Mix until everything is incorporated but not too much, as the batter will thicken and the sponge will turn out stiff and not fluffy and airy.
3. Prepare you cupcake tray with the paper tins and preheat oven at 180 C.
4. With an ice cream scoop, fill the tins about 2/3 of the way with the batter.
5. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick is inserted at the center of a cake and comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting.
- for the frosting
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar. Whisk until everything is combined.
2. Add the milk and whisk again.
3. Cover with a plastic wrap and leave to cool for at least one hour before use. This will thicken the frosting and make it easier to spread.
Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with fresh grounded cinnamon. Leave to cool at the fridge for an hour.
I must say that the kitchen is one of my most loved rooms in my apartment. This is were everything happens, to sugary delights, dinners, chit chats with friends while preparing something. My bf got me this amazing electric mixer for my 20th birthday! It is my first freestanding electric mixer and it is huuuge, I mean it needs its own special room.... Can't wait to use it in many more recipes!
I've also got a great passion about paper cases and cake tins. It gets absolutely crazy in my kitchen when I open all the little drawers and metal boxes, where I store them.